In 2007 Jessie Ngaio ran away from her small hometown in New Zealand to study for her Masters in Fine Arts. Since graduating, she has exhibited a couple of times a year as well as having worked in a gallery, a bank and porn. She has also made some dumb comics, weird videos, psychotic paintings, unflattering photos and creepy dolls. When Jessie isn’t making “art”, she’s complaining about how much her hands hurt from RSI, looking at pictures of naked people, and thinking about feminism and shit.
Recently she produced and starred in a show entitled Slutmonster and Friends which won an award, got nominated for another one and could be described as a surrealistic, hyper-sexual musical autobiography. It could also simply be described as “sick.” Jessie’s work deals with notions of kitsch, concepts of “otherness”, gender, sexuality, deviance, pornography, feminism, monsters, cuteness, lust, fear, the beautiful, grotesque and abject. She likes boobs, glitter, colours that burn your eyeballs and long walks on the beach looking for mermaid corpses.
2007 Master of Fine Arts, RMIT University, Melbourne.
2006 Advanced Diploma of Art and Design, Waiariki Institute ofTechnology, New Zealand.
2005 Diploma of Art and Design, Waiariki Institute of Technology, New Zealand.
Exhibition History (Solo shows marked *)
- May 2012 - Extraterrestrial Diorama, Waiariki Institute of Technology, New Zealand.
- *Solo show - March 2012 - Little Bits, Cafe Lua, Melbourne.
- December 2011 - First Time, winner of second place award, Cafe Lua, Melbourne.
- July 2011 - Curated and exhibited in Dumb Arts, Saint One Twenty, Melbourne.
- October 2010 - Don't Quit Your Day Job, Hogan Gallery, Melbourne.
- October 2010 - Owl in the Spotlight, LaMama Theatre, Melbourne.
- April 2010 - Saint One20 Arts Show, Melbourne.
- October 2009 - Alice in Saint One20, Melbourne.
- *Solo show - October 2009 - Cold Salt Skin, Brunswick St Gallery, Melbourne.
- April 2009 - Lesbian Dinosaurs, Saint One20, Melbourne.
- October 2008 - Tales and Oddities in the Parlour Room, Per Square Metre Gallery, Melbourne.
- September 2008 - Totem, Dolls With Souls, Fracture Galleries, Federation Square, Melbourne.
- *Solo show - September 2008 Untitled, Saint One20, Melbourne.
- April 2008 - Once Upon a Time... Off The Kerb Gallery, Melbourne.
- July 2008 - Tammy's Tea Party, Saint One20, Melbourne.
- December 2007 - RMIT MFA Graduate Exhibition, RMIT School of Art Gallery, Melbourne.
- October 2007 - A Minor Collection of Unnatural History, Off The Kerb Gallery, Melbourne.
- November 2006 - The Sum of Us, Waiariki Graduate Exhibition. Hei Tiki Gallery, Rotorua, New Zealand.
- August 2006 - Mazda Emerging Artists Exhibition, Auckland, New Zealand.
- November 2004 to August 2005 - Paintings, Toi Te Aranga Gallery, Rotorua, New Zealand.
- August 2005 - Multi-Media, Waiariki Institute Gallery. Rotorua, New Zealand.
- May 2005 to June 2005 - Abstract Expressionism, Rotorua Museum of Art and History Gallery Café, Rotorua, New Zealand.
- May 2005 to June 2005 Trust Me, exhibition at the Waiariki Institute Gallery, Rotorua, New Zealand.
- *Solo show - December 2004 to January 2005 - Aether / Or, Rotorua Museum of Art and History Gallery Cafe. By invitation of Museum Art Curator, Ann Sommerville. Rotorua, New Zealand.
- Producer, actor, set design, costume design for Slutmonster and Friends, Awarded “Highly Commended in Comedy” 2012 Melbourne Fringe. Golden Gibbo Nominated, 2013 Melbourne International Comedy Festival. “This so, so wrong and so, so funny Brothers Grimm porno musical with puppets, animation and a remarkably refined aesthetic was Highly Commended in the 2012 Melbourne Fringe Awards, and rightly so.” – Richard Watts, Arts Hub
- Visiting artist and lecturer, Waiariki Institute of Technology, May 2012
- Team captain for kink, queer, poly friendly and sex positive game show “That Sexy Show”, Melbourne, 2013.
- Video and image editor for ethical erotica production company, Feck. 2009-2011
- Photographer for musicians, artists etc – commission based, ongoing.
Click here for Reviews for Slutmonster and Friends
Click on thumbnail to load full article.
Click on thumbnail to load full article or visit the Daily Post Website.